Serving Mesquite & Las Vegas
You Have Questions, We Have Answers
Are you ready to take control of your home comfort? At Silverado Mechanical, we understand that navigating the world of HVAC (Heating, Ventilation, and Air Conditioning) can be a bit overwhelming. That's why we're here to provide answers to your most pressing questions and demystify the world of home comfort. Whether you're in Las Vegas or Mesquite, we've got you covered!
Glossary of HVAC Terms
- AFUE (Annualized Fuel Utilization Efficiency): AFUE measures a furnace's heating efficiency, with a higher AFUE indicating greater efficiency.
- Air Handler: The indoor component of an air conditioner or heat pump responsible for circulating cooled or heated air throughout your home's ductwork.
- Blower Fan: This fan moves air from the return duct across the coil or heat exchanger, where it is heated or cooled before being distributed through the supply ducts into your home.
- BTU (British Thermal Unit): BTU is a unit of heat energy, representing the amount required to raise one pound of water by one degree Fahrenheit. A higher BTU rating indicates greater heating capacity in a system.
- Compressor: Part of an outdoor air conditioner or heat pump, the compressor compresses and pumps refrigerant to meet cooling needs in your home.
- Condenser: In an air conditioner or heat pump, the condenser changes refrigerant from a gas to a liquid when depressurized or cooled.
- Damper: A movable plate in the ductwork that regulates airflow, directing it to areas that need it most, often used in zoning applications.
- Ducts: Ducts are pathways through which air travels from the furnace or blower coil to various parts of your home.
- Forced Air HVAC System: Any HVAC system using a fan to distribute conditioned air through ducts.
- Heat Pump: This HVAC unit heats or cools by transferring heat. In winter, it draws heat from outdoor air and circulates it indoors, while in summer, it removes heat from your home and releases it outdoors.
- Heat Strip: A supplemental heat source for a heat pump, used when the heat pump can't extract sufficient heat from the outside. It relies on electrical resistance heat.
- HEPA Filters (High Efficiency Particulate Arrestance filters): Highly effective air filters commonly found in premium air cleaners, capable of trapping very small particles.
- HSPF (Heating Seasonal Performance Factor): HSPF rates the heating efficiency of heat pumps, with a higher rating indicating greater efficiency.
- MERV Rating (Minimum Efficiency Reporting Value): This rating describes filter hole sizes that allow air to pass through. Higher MERV ratings signify smaller holes and increased efficiency.
- Packaged Unit: A combined heating and cooling system housed in a single outdoor unit.
- Refrigerant: A chemical responsible for cooling effects when it expands or vaporizes.
- R-22 Refrigerant: The older standard for residential air conditioners, now being phased out by the U.S. EPA.
- Return Air: "Used" air returning to your HVAC system for reconditioning.
- Return Duct: A duct that channels return air back into your HVAC system.
- Supply Duct: Ducts that carry conditioned air into your living spaces.
- Ton: A unit of measurement determining cooling capacity, where one ton equals 12,000 Btuh.
- Zoning System: A heating and cooling setup that establishes customized temperature zones throughout your home for enhanced comfort and efficiency.
If you have any more questions or need assistance in Las Vegas or Mesquite, don't hesitate to reach out to Silverado Mechanical. We're here to make your home comfort journey a breeze!